Working Out Week 52 of 2014
December 27, 2014
This was the final week of 2014. I cannot believe another year has gone by already! Time seems to go faster and faster the older I get. For this last week of the year my workouts were mainly my new Cathe Ripped With Hiit workouts and then yoga at the end of the week.
- Sunday 12-21 – off
- Monday 12-22 – RWH Circuit Upper Body premix 4 timesaver – 34 min.
- Tuesday 12-23 – RWH Circuit Lower Body premix 2 scrambled express – 32 min.
- Wednesday 12-24 – RWH Low Impact Hiit One + Abs Two – 41 min.
- Thursday 12-25 Christmas Day – off
- Friday 12-26 – RWH Circuit Upper Body – 46 min.
- Saturday 12-27 – Yoga – Light Up sequence from Yoga Journal magazine – 20 min.
I think I have done all nine of the workout dvd’s on the Ripped With Hiit series now. Some of them were the shorter premixes since this was a busy time of year and I just didn’t have the time to do a full 45 or 50 minute workout every day. I will say I truly love this new series from Cathe Friedrich. The workouts are fun and challenging and you will sweat a lot and feel like you got a great workout in – even if you only do a 30 minute premix version. I like how some of the dvd’s are cardio based, some are cardio with weights and then there are a few that are just weight training. All of the dvd’s offer the two ab workouts so you can always add that at the end of your workout.
The above photos are some of the Hiit Circuit Lower Body dvd. This one is a combination of cardio and weights and uses the step for a lot of the exercises. The cardio exercises are done in between weight exercises and your arms also get in a workout since some of them use heavier weights. I really like this workout.
The middle of the week I did Low Impact Hiit One plus Abs two. This workout is all pretty much body weight exercises and uses some dixie cups for some lunges. For part of the workout you use your mat as a workout prop to jump around, over or straddle for various exercises that are fun and get your heart rate up. There was a ton of sweat after this workout. As you can see my faithful workout cat was present for most of these exercises – sitting on the corner of the rug. The rest of the workout he sat under the Christmas tree after finding his present under there – he sat right on the present.
The Ripped With Hiit Circuit Upper Body dvd is another fun and challenging total body workout. I used this dvd twice this week – the first time I did a shorter premix version but I did the entire workout on Friday. This workout focuses on upper body strength training with the weights but there are cardio exercises in between the weights and those are total body exercises. This is another workout I really like and will be using a lot.
I chose to end this week with yoga. I was planning to do the Lower Body Circuit again but decided some yoga would be better for my early Saturday morning. I love (I think I have mentioned this before) doing yoga on Saturday mornings.
Weekly Fitness Tip: Try doing some workouts at home before joining an expensive gym
– This is the time of year when people decide they are going to get fit and join a gym – personally I have never belonged to one and probably never will. I choose to workout at home on my own time and with my own schedule – I have been doing this for about 10+ years now. Once you develop a schedule (meaning write down your weekly workout plans and stick to them) it becomes a habit and you will soon make it part of your day. Also, you won’t have to worry about driving anywhere and won’t have that excuse as the reason you can’t workout -no time to drive to the gym.
– For the amount of money you are going to spend on a gym membership contract for a year you can buy some weights and bands to use at home. You could also invest in a good workout program and still have money left to buy the weights for what you would spend on a membership. Beachbody offers great workout programs – a few of which I own and have completed in the past couple of years. Also, Cathe Friedrich dvd’s are awesome – a lot of her older dvd’s (which are still good and I still use) are probably on sale right now, too. They may seem expensive at first but when you calculate the cost of the gym, gas money and your time for going there they are a bargain. The highlighted text are links to the site – I am not affiliated with either of them just wanted to share where to get the information I mentioned.
– Look into some of the fitness websites and YouTube channels like PopSugar Fitness that offer lots of free workout videos and some are only 15 to 20 minutes for those who are short on time.
– There are lots of ways to get in some exercise without joining a gym – check into some of them before signing that membership contract.
I mentioned last week in the fitness tips to think about some goals for the upcoming year. Well, for one of my goals I have decided to focus on some other topics for my blog this coming year. I will still be working out regularly but I will probably only do a monthly update and not a weekly one. I will be trying to focus a little more on my crochet, knitting and sewing for the year 2015 – which are things I truly love to do – there will be projects and I will also share some free patterns and tutorials.
I hope everyone has had a great year. Mine was filled with blogging, cleaning, cooking, crocheting, exercising, knitting, sewing; also keeping our home managed and raising our kids. I am looking forward to a great year for 2015!
Take care and Happy New Year!
Working Out Week 51 of 2014
December 20, 2014
The closer it gets to Christmas the faster each week seems to go by for me. I completed my first week of Ripped With Hiit this past week – my new Cathe Friedrich series that I received last week. Hiit stand for high intensity interval training and I LOVE it!
- Sunday – off
- Monday – Lift It Hiit It Legs premix 1 All Strength – 29 min.
- Tuesday – Low Impact Hiit Two + Bonus Abs Two – 40 min.
- Wednesday – Lift It Hiit It Back, Bis and Shoulders premix 5 – 29 min.
- Thursday – off
- Friday – Plyo Hiit One + Bonus Abs One – 37 min.
- Saturday – Lift It Hiit It Chest, Tris and Shoulders – 28 min.
The Low Impact Hiit workout was a good one to start with at the beginning of the week. Even though it was low impact it was still challenging and I did a lot of sweating. My faithful workout cat was there throughout most of this one.
The Hiit weight workouts in this series are definitely a challenge and within a week of doing a couple of these and increasing my weights a little I am seeing some positive changes. There are a lot of different weights to use as well as a barbell for this heavy training. The workouts I did this past week that were the Lift It part were actually shorter premixes. There were a couple of days this past week I just couldn’t get myself to commit to the entire 45 or 50 minutes of the workout – that is what I love about most all Cathe workouts – there are lots of premixes and you can always do a shorter, or even a longer, version.
The Plyo Hiit workout was definitely a super high intensity cardio workout that had me sweating a ton. Above are a couple of photos – one of the one handed burpees and the other is some of the abdominal exercises that are done standing and with an 8 pound dumbbell. Can you see my other cat peeking through the one photo? – she doesn’t usually come around too much when I am working out but this day she decided to come by and lay on the rug for a bit and watch me.
My overall view of this new workout series is that I LOVE IT! It is just what I need this time of year to keep me motivated to workout. A lot of the exercises are new and innovative and that is one of the things I love about Cathe’s workouts – she is always finding new moves to incorporate into her routines so you don’t get bored.
Weekly Fitness Tip: Decide on what your goals will be for the upcoming New Year
– think about what you want to accomplish in the upcoming year with your health and fitness and write out some of those goals – having something written down that you can refer to helps keep you accountable
– make sure your goals are realistic and not too far out of reach – start small especially if you are new to exercising regularly, but start somewhere – the first step is getting a plan and sticking to it
– realize that results take time and dedication and that there will be times when you feel like nothing is happening fast enough – remember that positive changes will happen if you follow a healthy and active lifestyle everyday, not just for a month or two – and don’t get discouraged if you fall off the fitness plan for a day or two – just get back on it rather than totally quitting just because you missed a few days
I hope as we approach the final weeks of 2014 you will look back and see all you have accomplished. I know that this year for me has been a great year for working out consistently and for taking other areas of my health into a more positive direction.
Have a great weekend!
Working Out Week 50 of 2014
December 14, 2014
This week was another hectic holiday week and it went by so fast! I even thought that Thursday was Wednesday – my kids had to correct me.
This past week I went back to a full six day a week workout schedule. I wasn’t liking the four day a week schedule as I mentioned last week. I actually intended to only workout five days this past week but I got my new Cathe Friedrich Ripped With Hiit in the mail on Tuesday and had to do one of those to try out the new dvd’s so I threw an extra workout in.
- Sunday – off
- Monday – Shiva Rea AM Energy yoga – 25 min.
- Tuesday – Exhale Core Fusion – Pilates Plus – 20 min.
- Wednesday –
offCathe Ripped With Hiit, Low Impact Hiit WO 1 – 28 min.
- Thursday – Shiva Rea Daily Energy yoga – 20 min.
- Friday – Exhale Core Fusion – Pilates Plus – 20 min.
- Saturday – Shiva Rea More Daily Energy yoga – 25 min.
So, this past week was actually going to be my yoga-pilates week but I did squeeze in one cardio, low impact, workout in the middle. I think the yoga and pilates are perfect for keeping me calm and more grounded during this busy holiday time. Also, doing just the 20 to 25 minutes a day is very manageable for a busy schedule – as we all seem to be from Thanksgiving to New Years day.
The above photos are me and my exercise cat doing the Exhale Core Fusion Pilates Plus – love these workout dvd’s. They really tone your body and target specific areas. The above photos are of some of the Upper Body Core segment that is 10 minutes long. I then also added in the Flat Back-Round Back Core segment to make it 20 minutes total.
The yoga dvd’s I chose this week were all Shiva Rea, but different ones. The above photos are from the Daily Energy dvd – I forgot to write down which sequence it was but it had a lot of backbends and side waist bends. No cat around on this day – he was being lazy.
Weekly Fitness Tip: Make a point to find at least 20 minutes a day five days a week to exercise
– doing some type of physical activity is better than none at all – even if it is only 15 to 20 minutes – (like a walk or some yoga)
– exercising will give your day a positive start if done first thing in the morning
– regular exercise helps you deal with stress better
– exercise is not a destination – it is a journey that needs to be part of a healthy lifestyle in order to see the benefits
I hope everyone is having a good month so far. I know it is challenging to keep up with exercise as well as eat healthy but with some effort it is possible – I know if I make a plan with my eating and workouts I am more likely to stick to it.
Have a good week!
Working Out Week 49 of 2014
December 6, 2014
Well, another week has flown by. After being out of town last week I felt like half of this week was spent doing laundry, grocery shopping and cooking for our family. My workouts this week were:
- Sunday – off
- Monday – Cathe X-10, Hi Lo & Fat Burning premix – 42 min.
- Tuesday – off
- Wednesday – Cathe Lean Legs and Abs timesaver 1 – 37 min.
- Thursday – off
- Friday – Cathe – Party Rocking Step disc 1, timesaver 2 – 31 min.
- Saturday – Cathe X-10, Low Impact – 25 min.
I am still getting used to this 4 day a week schedule. I am so used to working out at least 5 or 6 days per week that on Tuesday and Thursday mornings I feel like something is off or missing since I am not working out. I have been doing a little light stretching or yoga on those mornings but not a full workout. I thought that cutting back on workouts would help me get more done during this holiday time but so far it is not helping – so I may go back to 5 or 6 days a week. I think I have made exercise such a part of my daily routine that it is hard for me to stop – I guess there are worse things to be addicted to.
The above photo is of the cat on Monday morning – waiting for me to workout by my weights. I guess he really missed me last week since I wasn’t at home to workout with him all week. I can almost always count on him to keep me company for at least half of my workouts.
The above photos are of the X-10 workout on Monday morning. This is a great cardio and weight dvd. There are lots of premixes on this dvd and you can do shorter or longer versions of the various workouts. This is one of my favorite Cathe dvd’s.
Lean Legs and Abs is another great workout. As you can see it is also cat approved – he was on me like glue that whole morning. The ab work on this dvd is a combination of traditional ab exercises mixed in with some using an 8 pound dumbbell.
I tried a new recipe this past week for dinner one night. I got looking through my pinterest boards and decided to make this Firecracker Chicken. The recipe is from another blog called Kitchen Meets Girl and if you click on the highlighted recipe title it will take you to it. I reduced the brown sugar to half a cup instead of one cup and it was just fine. I just thought that was too much sugar for my taste and my diet. My whole family loved the recipe – I will be making it again and it was really very easy – another bonus.
Weekly Fitness Tip: Take Time for Yourself and Time to De-Stress During the Holidays
– Take time to do a few things for yourself each week – even if it is just something little like taking a relaxing bath
– Take a break from social media – sometimes looking at what everyone is doing or has done makes you feel overwhelmed and like you are not keeping up – if that is the case avoid going on those social sites that drag you down. It will be there the next day or week for you to look at when you want to
– Remember to get enough rest
– Drink lots of water – staying hydrated helps you avoid fatigue and headaches
I hope everyone had a great week. Today I am going to help my husband get our outdoor Christmas decor up, thankfully it is a nice day for it.
Working Out Week 48 of 2014
December 1, 2014
This post is a couple of days later than usual. The reason being I was on the road all day Saturday – my normal post day – driving from Georgia back to Texas. Normally we stay home for the Thanksgiving holiday but decided to go visit family this year.
I still managed to get in some yoga workouts during my week in Georgia. I took some Shiva Rea dvd’s with me and some yoga sequences from Yoga Journal magazine that I have saved. One problem I ran into though was we got halfway there and I remembered I that I didn’t pack my yoga mat – so a trip to Walmart once we got close to our destination and got a new yoga mat. I kind of needed one anyhow as the one I have is a couple of years old and the other mat I use for workouts with shoes is VERY old.
Workouts the week of Thanksgiving were:
- Monday – yoga in evening – 10 min
- Tuesday – Shiva Rea AM Energy Vira Flow – 23 min.
- Wednesday – Shiva Rea Daily Energy Chakra Namaskar + Core – 29 min.
- Thursday – Yoga Shine On sequence from Yoga Journal magazine – 15 min.
- Friday – Yoga Light Up sequence from Yoga Journal magazine – 15 min.
- Saturday – off – travel day
Since I was not at home and did not have my tripod I didn’t take any workout photos.
It was very enjoyable to do yoga the entire week and I might alternate doing that every other week for the month of December. I notice the yoga really helps calm you and deal with stress better – of course I know this since I have done yoga for over ten years but actually practicing it for an entire week where you were traveling and dealing with different surroundings and family members I could tell it helped me mentally.
One thing I did take photos of was our trip to Senoia, Georgia to see the little town where they film the TV series The Walking Dead. The town is a really cute little country town that has this small downtown area where there is a Walking Dead store that sells Walking Dead merchandise. In the basement of the store there are actual set props from various scenes of the show. So, I will be sharing those photos below of our visit to the town with my family.
Weekly Fitness Tip: Pack healthy snacks and foods when traveling for the holidays
– If going on a long road trip pack at least one meal – like lunch – so you know it is healthy. For example a salad in a portable salad container. I did this for our long drive to Georgia from Texas and used one of the reusable Take Out containers I bought at Aldi over a month ago. It even has a salad dressing holder and the containers did not leak.
– Pack healthy snacks like trail mix or nuts and dried fruit
– Bring some fruit like apples or bananas or even cut up pineapple (I have done that before and did it this time as well)
– When stopping to eat choose a grilled sandwich with NO fries or a grilled chicken salad
– Have lots of water packed in a cooler and avoid soft drinks or sugary drinks. Store water in the trunk or under a seat that will not fit in the cooler and add it when the cooler gets low.
With some planning and using some self control you can travel and still stick to a somewhat healthy diet.
I hope you enjoyed seeing the photos of the Walking Dead store that we visited. If you are ever in that area of Georgia I would say it is worth stopping by the little town – especially if you are a Walking Dead fan.
I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving last week and is having a great start to the first week of December.