Tag: green drink
Working Out Week 21 of 2014
May 24, 2014
Another week has come and gone. The past two weeks have gone by really fast for me for some reason. Maybe it is all the end of the year activities with my kids and their schools or something. This week was week 3 and the beginning of week 4 of the Betty Rocker Spring Challenge and I also decided to use another one of my exercise books on the days I was not doing the Betty Rocker workouts.
- Monday 5-19 – Betty Rocker week 3 workout + foam roller stretches – 40 minutes
- Tuesday 5-20 – CORE book – Global Workout – 30 minutes
- Wednesday 5-21 – Betty Rocker week 3 workout + foam roller stretches – 40 minutes
- Thursday 5-22 – CORE book – Warrior Workout – 30 minutes
- Friday 5-23 – Betty Rocker week 4 workout + foam roller stretches – 40 minutes
- Saturday 5-24 – CORE book – Lower Ab workout – 20 minutes
The Betty Rocker workouts were tough body weight workouts this past week. I actually thought week 3 was a little easier than week 2 – but not much. I really liked the Hindu Push Ups – (top left photo) and the Grasshoppers (lower right photo). As you can see I had my personal trainer monitoring my moves once again. He has a new scarf on for the Memorial Day holiday – it is red with baseballs on the fabric. My kids thought he needed a new scarf. He has now learned how to remove it so he is constantly taking it off and we find it various places around the house.
This past week I choose once again to use one of my workout books that I own instead of my dvd’s. The one I used this time was CORE by Hollis Lance Liebman. I got this book last summer from Half Price Books. I used it quite a bit last summer and really like the routines in the book. The photos in the book are all color and each exercise is explained in detail along with photos. The back of the book contains various routines that are anywhere from 8 to 20 exercises per routine. You can see the book and one of the routines in the above photos. All of the exercises concentrate on the core and use either no equipment, an exercise ball, medicine ball and some dumbbells for a few exercises. I also really like how each of the exercises lists the areas of your body it benefits and what areas it is working and it gives you a skill level like beginner, intermediate or advanced. Once again my cat is present to make sure I am doing everything correctly.
I also decided to start drinking my green drinks and smoothies again. The one I made this week and drank a few times for lunch was a recipe I found in my Ninja blender book. I actually changed a few things in the recipe like the ginger and the amount of agave or honey. They said to use fresh ginger and I only had some crystallized and I added less agave than what it called for. I think their recipe said 1 to 2 tablespoons of agave or honey and I only use 1 or 2 teaspoons to cut back on the sugar as the crystallized ginger also has sugar in it.
I did a green smoothie challenge back in January of 2014 where I drank one per day for the whole month. I think I have only made a few since then. I think one of the reasons is it was cold out (winter time) and I don’t care for really cold drinks in the winter. I forgot how great drinking these juices or smoothies can make you feel and look. I will say they are kind of an acquired taste but once you get past the look of it and realize the health benefits it is worth the effort to make it and drink it regularly. I plan to make it a goal to have at least three per week.
Next week I will be finishing up the Betty Rocker Challenge with week 4. I have not decide yet if I will be using another workout book or go back to some yoga dvd’s in between the BR workouts. What workouts are you currently doing? I would love to hear about them – click on Leave a Reply to let me know.
Have a great Memorial Day weekend!
Green Goddess Smoothie
November 7, 2013
This smoothie is a creation I developed with ingredients that are good for you and good for your skin, too. I have been trying to make one in the afternoons several days a week and drinking them as a pick me up energy drink – that I know is loaded with fresh ingredients and healthy vitamins. It is super quick and easy to make, too.
Here is the recipe:
- handful of spinach
- 1/2 c. frozen chopped mango & pineapple blend (I got mine at Sam’s)
- 1 or 2 pieces of crystallized dried ginger (I got this from Sprouts)
- 1/2 to 3/4 c. filtered water
Blend all of the above ingredients until it is smooth – 1 to 2 minutes. I use my Nutribullet with the smaller size blending cup to make this. It blends up really well in there.
Some info in the ingredients in this green drink:
- Spinach – vital for looking and feeling young and fit, keeps your skin healthy, has B-vitamins, vitamin C, carotenoids, calcium, fiber, lipoic acid, magnesium and zinc
- Mango – high in beta-carotene needed for healthy, clear, skin and overall immunity, protects the brain from memory loss, contains vitamin C, vitamin E and fiber
- Pineapple – contains vitamin C to defend against premature aging, also contains enzymes that have antioxidants and help produce energy, rich in bromelain to help reduce inflammation
- Ginger – also good for inflammation in the body due to joint problems, protects your digestive system from premature aging, regulates blood sugar and boosts circulation
Green smoothies are a great way to get extra healthy nutrients into your body each day. I will admit it takes a little getting use to drinking them. They usually taste better than they look, in my opinion. I have tried some that I do not like at all but this one has a very pleasant taste to me, with the ginger in it, and I always feel very healthy and energized after drinking one.
I would love to hear about your experience with trying green smoothies – or any good smoothie recipes you have to share. You can let me know by leaving a reply.
Have a great day!