Sewing – Summer Tunic
July 15, 2013
This is one of my latest summer sewing projects that I finished recently – this navy tunic top. I made this top using Simplicity pattern 1668. Once again it was one of those bargain 99 cent patterns I got from Hobby Lobby a few weeks ago. The pattern can also be made into a dress with a waist tie. So far I have only made the tunic.
I love this top! It is lightweight and comfortable to wear. The size I made, according to my measurements, fits well. Although I think the next time I will scoop out a little more depth for the arm syce area. I prefer for my sleeveless tops to have a little more depth under the arm. I think it is because I have bigger shoulders so I usually need a little more room in this area. Another great thing about this top is it matched my chevron skirt that I also made recently.
The top has a gathered shoulder area and a gathered front that has elastic in the center. The back of the top has a large pleat. See photos below for front and back views:
This pattern has quite a few pattern pieces but is fairly easy to sew. I would recommend it to anyone with intermediate sewing skills. Sewing the front elastic casing area was a little involved and requires some patience. Also, for the armhole facing I did not use the recommended bias tape – I just made my own from 1.5 inch bias strips.
I made this particular top out of a lightweight broadcloth. I am planning to make another one this summer. I have not decided what color yet – maybe white so it will go with everything.
Currently I am working on a denim upcycle bag made from old jeans. I am hoping to finish it soon so I can post it on my blog in the next week.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. To receive updates you can subscribe via RSS feed or through bloglovin by clicking on either icon in the sidebar. Have a great day!