This post is a couple of days later than usual. The reason being I was on the road all day Saturday – my normal post day – driving from Georgia back to Texas. Normally we stay home for the Thanksgiving holiday but decided to go visit family this year.
I still managed to get in some yoga workouts during my week in Georgia. I took some Shiva Rea dvd’s with me and some yoga sequences from Yoga Journal magazine that I have saved. One problem I ran into though was we got halfway there and I remembered I that I didn’t pack my yoga mat – so a trip to Walmart once we got close to our destination and got a new yoga mat. I kind of needed one anyhow as the one I have is a couple of years old and the other mat I use for workouts with shoes is VERY old.
Workouts the week of Thanksgiving were:
- Monday – yoga in evening – 10 min
- Tuesday – Shiva Rea AM Energy Vira Flow – 23 min.
- Wednesday – Shiva Rea Daily Energy Chakra Namaskar + Core – 29 min.
- Thursday – Yoga Shine On sequence from Yoga Journal magazine – 15 min.
- Friday – Yoga Light Up sequence from Yoga Journal magazine – 15 min.
- Saturday – off – travel day
Since I was not at home and did not have my tripod I didn’t take any workout photos.
It was very enjoyable to do yoga the entire week and I might alternate doing that every other week for the month of December. I notice the yoga really helps calm you and deal with stress better – of course I know this since I have done yoga for over ten years but actually practicing it for an entire week where you were traveling and dealing with different surroundings and family members I could tell it helped me mentally.
One thing I did take photos of was our trip to Senoia, Georgia to see the little town where they film the TV series The Walking Dead. The town is a really cute little country town that has this small downtown area where there is a Walking Dead store that sells Walking Dead merchandise. In the basement of the store there are actual set props from various scenes of the show. So, I will be sharing those photos below of our visit to the town with my family.
Weekly Fitness Tip: Pack healthy snacks and foods when traveling for the holidays
– If going on a long road trip pack at least one meal – like lunch – so you know it is healthy. For example a salad in a portable salad container. I did this for our long drive to Georgia from Texas and used one of the reusable Take Out containers I bought at Aldi over a month ago. It even has a salad dressing holder and the containers did not leak.
– Pack healthy snacks like trail mix or nuts and dried fruit
– Bring some fruit like apples or bananas or even cut up pineapple (I have done that before and did it this time as well)
– When stopping to eat choose a grilled sandwich with NO fries or a grilled chicken salad
– Have lots of water packed in a cooler and avoid soft drinks or sugary drinks. Store water in the trunk or under a seat that will not fit in the cooler and add it when the cooler gets low.
With some planning and using some self control you can travel and still stick to a somewhat healthy diet.
I hope you enjoyed seeing the photos of the Walking Dead store that we visited. If you are ever in that area of Georgia I would say it is worth stopping by the little town – especially if you are a Walking Dead fan.
I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving last week and is having a great start to the first week of December.